Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Grandparents Day - Who Knew


I didn't know there was such a thing.  Apparently, Grandparents Day became an official day in Canada in 1995 (and has been a national day in the US since 1978).

Seeing as our parents are now grandparents, I decided that I am a masochist and invited them over for brunch today.  I spent last night and this morning balancing my time between cooking and feeding E.  I haven't hosted a brunch in ages but I had a blast figuring out what to make and actually making it, of course.  Here is the menu:
(Pardon the pictures, the lighting in our house is brutal and I used my blackberry.)

Baked Vanilla Bean Donuts

Chilled Fruit Salad


Buttered Toast (if you need a recipe for this, we should start with how to boil water)


Peameal Bacon (with Mustard)

Baked French Toast


Breakfast Casserole


Cheesecake in a Jar (I followed this recipe for the cheesecake but used canned cherry and blueberry toppings)



I also set up a drink station with OJ and cranberry juice and a selection of Tassimo cups (coffee and tea).


For decorations, I did simple tissue paper pom poms.  I also broke up a bouquet of white daisies and used a few of my blooper reel painted vases from last fall (which actually looked pretty good like this).


Finally, the table cloth, napkins, plates and cutlery are all from Target - because with a newborn, I am not doing more dishes than necessary.

Over the next week or so, I will try to post some of the recipes I used or modified (if there is a link above, I did not modify the recipe in any way except as noted).

I think everything turned out really well - even my Dad was complimentary and that's high praise. It was a good day.  Unfortunately, I failed to take any pictures while everyone was here so you will have to take my word for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment