Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Baby sewing projects - Car Seat Cover

 
Hubby is very protective of anyone trying to touch Little E, even more so than I am.  Whenever we have gone out, we tend to keep a muslin blanket draped over the car seat.  However, it was light and whenever there was a breeze, it would be havoc.  We started using office clips to hold it on, but it was a sorry solution.
(Said office clip)

I kept seeing car seat cover instructions every time I looked for sewing projects and initially I didn't think they were necessary.  Now I know better.  One of the best sites for instructions is here - I particularly like her reference to the cover being a "greeter deterrent".  Exactly what I was going for.

I bought a couple meters of broadcloth and printed cotton and strips of velcro.  I followed the instructions linked above.  The trickiest part is getting the straps placed onto the cover.  You can either mark your material or attach the straps to the car seat handle where you want them and then pin them, loosely, to the cover.  I did the latter.


I did not iron the material before making the cover, but obviously that's a good idea (the cover has a pretty well defined crease in it, but that can be fixed).



I'm happy with the results and the Hubby was happy to have a greeter deterrent.  All in all, it was pretty quick to make, especially since Little E actually cooperated and decided to nap (you will note that he is not swaddled, since he has decided that swaddling is for sissies this week).


No comments:

Post a Comment