Search This Blog

Friday, October 19, 2012

A monogram with many words

My inspiration for a recent project comes from Little Things Bring Smiles (such an amazing blog!!!): Book Letters.  I instantly fell in love with the idea.  As a first try, I decided to make a monogram for our last name to hang by our front door.

What I used:

- book (this was difficult, but I found one that I had no intention of reading, so I didn't cut into any of my collection)
- paper craft glue
- wooden monogram (F)
- scissors
- felt
- glue gun

Start by cutting strips of pages from the book.


Once you have the strips cut, apply glue to the bottom third of one side (I used a paint brush, which worked quite well).

As you glue each strip, roll it up as tightly or as loosely as you desire. Once I was done rolling all the strips of paper, I laid the rolled page strips out to map out which piece would go where.


Then, one by one, glue the spot on the monogram letter and apply some glue to the roll and place it on the monogram.  I held each piece for 20-30 seconds before adding the next piece.  I also applied a little glue in between each roll.


Once the monogram is put together, cut out felt rounds to make small flowers.  Cut a round into a spiral and roll the felt into a tightly bound rosette.  I made three and used a glue gun to secure them into place.



I love the final product.  I'm thinking I may make a variation of this for my in-laws for Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment